For millennia, the Chinese have taught that a healthy, appropriate diet is an integral part of maintaining good health and healing various disorders. Here, the author demystifies Chinese dietetics, one of the pillars of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Joerg Kastner provides an introduction to the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the 'energetics' of foods. Emphasizing a holistic approach throughout, Chinese Nutrition Therapy provides readers with tools for integrating the principles of Chinese dietetics into their daily lives. The book includes a comprehensive classification of more than 300 readily available foods such as vegetables, grains, herbs and spices, fruit, meat, seafood, dairy products, oils and fats, and more. Numerous clinical examples and treatment suggestions artfully combine Western medical conditions with Chinese diagnostic techniques.
For this second edition the section on clinical examples has been expanded by detailed chapters on the treatment of obesity and physical and / or emotional fatigue. The explanation of causes of diseases according to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the different symptoms, and the lists of recommended foods and foods to avoid are supplemented by advice on the adequate acupuncture treatment.
- Descriptions of Chinese dietetics in practice and discussions of dietary factors, such as seasonal adaptations and differing requirements for children and seniors
- Practical tips on how to adapt Chinese nutrition therapy to Western products and cooking methods
- Clinical examples covering the major organ systems
- A handy 'A to Z' list of common foods and their healing characteristics
- An essential reference for students and practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine, this user-friendly book will also be valued by nutritionists, dieticians, physicians, and anyone interested in living a long and healthy life.
- An award-winning international medical and scientific publisher, Thieme has demonstrated its commitment to the highest standard of quality in the state-of-the-art content and presentation of all of its products.